When we say "The Mover's Guide to Packing Everything", we don't actually mean a professional mover. We mean we're bringing you tips from a REAL Dream Builders Realty customer. You know, a person just like you who recently bought a new home and had to move her family from one house to the next. This mover has the real packing tips and tricks that you are looking for.
Without further ado, here are some moving tips for you…
- Weed out as you go. Make a pile of things to donate or sell while you are packing. This ensures that you don't take anything with you that you truly don't need anymore. Whether you are downsizing or upgrading, there are always going to be things you don't need to take with you when you go.
- Organize your boxes. You can organize your boxes in a number of ways. You could buy an assortment of colored duct tape and color code each room, sealing up the boxes for the room with the corresponding color you've assigned it. On moving day, you can put a piece of tape on the wall of each room in your new house and any family or friends helping you will know exactly where each box goes. Another idea? Number each room starting with 100 and counting up by hundreds. Every box in one room will be labeled with a number in that set, and you can keep a list of what is in each box for easy unpacking.
- Get creative. There are MANY things you already own that can be considered perfect for packing. All those baskets you use for decorating? Fill 'em up! The kids' playroom full of bins that hold toys? Leave them in their bins and move them like that (it makes for easy unpacking, too!). Have a set of pots in the kitchen, or maybe a big crock pot? Put smaller kitchen items inside of these and tape the lids on top. The possibilities really are endless.
- Mimic the real movers. Now, there are some things you just may need to purchase from the local moving store (think moving truck or storage unit place). Two things we think are worth the investment? Packing paper for all of your dishes (unless you still read the newspaper, then go ahead and repurpose it!) and a tape gun.
- Use your luggage. It may not be a luxury vacation that you're about the embark on, but you can pack like it is. Use your luggage to pack all of your everyday needs such as a week's worth of clothes, your toiletries, medication, and anything else you don't want to have to dig around for during your move.
- Have your own sale. There are usually unexpected costs that come with buying a new home (like a new curtain rod for this room, or a new garbage can for that one). You can easily make a little money to cover these costs! Remember that sell pile we mentioned above? Have a garage sale before your big moving day. This ensures you have that much less stuff to pack and a little extra cash in your pocket.